Monday, April 2, 2012

Take Two on Blue

To review: making the Jane Stickle quilt. check. Rearranging the furniture. check. Adding more blue. check. So, about that diamond made of diamonds, all in blue. Decided to double back and pick out my fabrics for these - both so I can make sure I have enough in the right range and so that I can prep 'ready to go' blocks.

So with my blues picked out I thought the next step would be to sit down and work out which 24 blocks would be in the diamond wave... About 17 of them are clear-cut diamonds - the others could be modified to look like diamonds or could just as easily fall into other motif categories. So I still have to figure out a few things but I'm rolling on with my new plan.

Unrelated to the blue diamonds, but on my mind this week... thinking of (maybe) using the same background fabric on all - or at least no shirtings. I love the shirtings with individual blocks - just not sure how it will look when I get the sashing in there. Will the sashing be the thing that stands out cause it will be lightest? Or maybe the plain sashing is what will set the blocks off and tie it all together. Hmmm. I wish I could find some DJs with shirtings as background to reassure myself... It's possible that because I'm organizing the color values and block motifs, if I don't have the added scrappiness of the bkgd/shirtings, it will be cleaner than I'd like...

Thoughts, anyone?


These are the darker mid-range blues...
These are the lighter of the mid-range blues... the variation in hue shows up
so much more in this photo - the gray-blues vs. the greenish-blues, etc.

2 comments:

  1. I chose to use shirtings for the backgrounds of some of the blocks in my Civil War Jane. I like the look of mixing in shirtings, tone-on-tone and kona natural for all the backgrounds. (It really is all about personal taste though) I LOVE all those gorgeous blue's you've chosen for your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, hey, do you have a webshots or picasa album of your individual CW blocks? I'm enjoying following your modern jane. LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete